March Scripture Writing Plan:
Genesis, Part 8
In March we will be continuing our slow walk through Genesis. This month we will be exploring the life of Joseph.
Our February plan left us with an obvious emotional rift between Joseph and his brothers. Joseph had dreamed that his family would be bowing before him and this upset them. We can somewhat empathize with Joseph’s family because it seemed that Joseph was trying to elevate his importance.
The Life of Joseph is a fascinating one. Even as a young man, he desired to live righteously before the Lord. His was not an easy life but it was also a life in which he was exalted.
As we study the life of Joseph together, remember to look for shadows of Christ through out these chapters. The Gospel is woven throughout the Old and New Testaments and this portion of Genesis is no different.
Genesis, Part 8: Chapters 37-42
As a reminder, Genesis is written in the historical narrative style. This means that what is described in these pages of Scripture are to be taken as historical fact. This is not allegory, figurative, or poetic language.
Here are some articles and sites I wanted to recommend for this portion of our walk through Genesis:
- The Book of Beginnings: Genesis
- Geneva Study Bible: Genesis
- John Gill’s Exposition of the Bible: Genesis
- Matthew Henry Commentary: Genesis
- Genesis (sermon series) — William Godfrey
- Chapters 37-50 (Joseph)
- The Life of Joseph — RC Sproul (MP3)
- The Life of Joseph — Geoff Thomas
- The Life of Joseph — Dr. Sinclair Ferguson (MP3)
- Pictures of Christ in the Old Testament: Joseph — Anthony Mathenia (MP3)
- Joseph: Because God Meant It for Good — John MacArthur
- Lessons from Joseph’s Temptation — Carl Hargrove (MP3)
- A Coat, a Nation, and a Man Named Joseph, part 1 — Rick Holland (MP3)
- A Coat, a Nation, and a Man Named Joseph, part 2 — Rick Holland (MP3)
- Joseph in Egypt: Part 1 — Will Varner (MP3)
- Joseph and Murphy’s Law — Will Varner (MP3)
- Joseph: God’s Sovereignty in Our Trials — John MacArthur
- Joseph: The Precision of God’s Sovereignty — John MacArthur
- Joseph: His Role in a Bigger Story — John MacArthur
- Joseph Exalted and Exiled (Genesis 37) — Jim Newheiser (MP3
- Joseph’s Christ-likeness (Genesis 37:3, 23,31-33) — Joel Beeke (MP3)
- The Lord Meant It for Good (Genesis 37:18-36) — J. Ligon Duncan
- The Shame of Judah (Genesis 38:1-30) — J. Ligon Duncan
- Triple Failure, Triple Grace (Genesis 38:26a, 30) — Joel Beeke (MP3)
- Joseph Tested and Triumphant (Genesis 39) — Jim Newheiser (MP3)
- Success, Loyalty, and Betrayal (Genesis 39:1-23) — J. Ligon Duncan
- A Miniature Portrait Of Joseph (Gensis 39:2) — Charles Spurgeon
- The Lord was with Joseph (Genesis 39:2a, 21a) — Joel Beeke (MP3)
- Temptation and Deliverance or Joseph’s Great Temptation and Glorious Deliverance (Genesis 39:12) — Jonathan Edwards
- Chesed for Joseph (Genesis 39:21-23) — Ligonier
- From the Prison to the Palace (Genesis 40-41) — Jim Newheiser (MP3)
- Joseph Imprisoned (Genesis 40:1-23) — J. Ligon Duncan
- Joseph’s Plea for Help (Genesis 40:9-15) — Ligonier
- Joseph Forgotten? (Genesis 40:20-23) — Ligonier
- Prepared for Great Usefulness (Genesis 40:21-23) — Joel Beeke (MP3)
- Pharaoh’s Dream (Genesis 41:1-37) — J. Ligon Duncan
- Joseph Remembered (Genesis 41:1-13) — Ligonier
- Have You Forgotten Him? (Genesis 41:9) — Charles Spurgeon
- Joseph’s Humility (Genesis 41:14-32) — Ligonier
- Joseph’s Ascendancy (Genesis 41:37-45) — Ligonier
- A Ruler in Egypt (Genesis 41:38-57) — J. Ligon Duncan
- Joseph Bears Witness (Genesis 41:46-57) — Ligonier
- Go to Joseph for Bread (Genesis 41:55) — Joel Beeke (MP3)
- Joseph’s Brothers Face Famine and Fear (Genesis 42-43) — Jim Newheiser (MP3)
- Why Joseph is Not the Star of His Own Story… And Who Really Is (Genesis 42) — Voddie Baucham (MP3)
- Famine and Family (Genesis 42:1-39) — J. Ligon Duncan
- Corn in Egypt (Genesis 42:1-2) — Charles Spurgeon
- A Discourse to the Despairing (Genesis 42:1-2) — Charles Spurgeon
- Evening, May 21 (Genesis 42:2) — Charles Spurgeon
- Joseph’s Accusations (Genesis 42:7-17) — Ligonier
- The Hand of God: Finding His Care in All Circumstances — Alistair Begg (book)
- Joseph and the Gospel of Many Colors: Reading an Old Story in a New Way — Voddie Baucham (book)
- Jacob and Egypt: The Sovereignty of God — John MacArthur (book) (ebook)
- The Life of Joseph — RC Sproul (teaching series)
Scripture Writing Process for Genesis, Part 8
Read the passage provided each day. If the passage is long, feel free to choose one or two verses to write out and dig deeper into.
- What does this passage say?
- What does this passage mean?
- What does this passage tell me about God’s character?
- How does viewing God in this way change the way I view myself?
- How should I respond to this truth?
You do not have to answer every one of these questions every day. Rather, use them as a guide to really dig into what the passage says so that you can properly interpret and apply God’s Word to your life. If you need additional help in mining the Word of God, please read this article on How to Study the Bible that goes into more depth on the inductive Bible study method we use in answering the above questions.
Finish your time in the Word by writing out a prayer thanking God for this teaching and asking Him to help you apply it to your life today.
If you would like to join us as we study praise, you can download a free copy of the September Scripture Writing Plan by subscribing to the A Narrow-Minded Woman Newsletter using the form below. After you confirm your subscription, I will send you the link to the download library. There you may download this Scripture writing plan along with several other free downloads I offer.
We would also love to have you join us in the Scripture Writing Facebook group where we fellowship, challenge, and encourage one another as we grow in God’s Word.