Favorite Finds Friday:
The following are a collection of articles, sites, podcasts, and other finds I have found this week that I thought I would recommend. I hope you find these especially encouraging and edifying in your walk with Christ.
The Bible: written by mere men?
“Nobody denies that the Bible had human authors, but the Bible itself insists that God superintended everything they wrote—thereby producing a book without error.”
I Am Not Ashamed of the Gospel
“We live in a prideful society where people are proud of their automobiles, their clothing, and their accomplishments in business or athletics. But it’s becoming less of an acceptable thing in our society to be proud of our connection to Jesus Christ.”
Christianity in America is not dying!
“This new research demonstrates that the decline is in ‘moderate’ religion. So it turns out that ‘religion’ isn’t dying, but the differentiation between believer and unbeliever is becoming clearer.”
5 Ways Progressive Christianity and New Age Spirituality Are Kind of the Same Thing
“Many Christians aren’t even aware of how New Age beliefs have infiltrated Christendom through the Progressive Church.”
Dead Babies On Display at the Museum
“people who still have a conscience, know that the body is a person … we cannot rightfully pretend to separate body and mind as if this is just a bunch of matter to be discarded if we so please…”
Intersectionality as Religion… It’s infecting evangelicals too.
“Many evangelicals adjust their language and defer to experiential authority in order not to offend the dogmas of intersectionality. These habits are deeply antithetical to the Christian faith, and yet very few seem to have noticed that yet.”
Was the apostle Paul married? Yes, he was. Here’s how we know.
“You are not at a disadvantage in God’s kingdom by remaining unmarried. Steward that calling well for as long as you have it. Ask God to make the paths plain for the “unmarried” calling he’s given you. It may be a season, or it may be for life. God will make that plain in due time. In the meantime, don’t despair of your calling. Lean into it for the glory of God.”
Billy Graham and Charles Templeton: The Sad Tale of Two Evangelists
“May God give us all the ability to be like Billy Graham and make a decision to trust God and the Bible. May he help us to believe what we believe with an invincible innocence. Though doubts may still exist, they do not mean that our faith is not real.”
Spurgeon’s Orphanage: How One Woman Changed the World
“Level playing field or not, the lack of equality in the workplace hasn’t stood in the way of many women leaving their marks on the world.”
Examining Our Prayer Life
“Prayer should be in line with the Word of God, and in that, we realize that prayer doesn’t just change things, it changes us. I pray that we would be a sisterhood of strong prayer warriors. Take time to examine your prayer life this week.”
Seven Reasons Prayer Meetings Fail
“most of us struggle to pray. Often the corporate prayer meeting feels even harder than our private devotional time.”
Did Dinosaurs Turn into Birds?
“what does the Bible tell us about the origin of birds, and just how good is the scientific evidence that some dinosaurs evolved into birds?”
Refuting the Critics: The History of Astronomy
“Our critics this week have commented on the recent article on the History of Astronomy in which we examined the biblical texts that touch on astronomy. The first critic, Rubin, has clearly been influenced by the near-eastern mythology view – the idea that the Bible is a mythology similar to the surrounding pagan myths of the day. Of course, there is no evidence to support this view and abundant evidence (both internal and external) against it.
“The other critic, Peter, was also uninformed on the issue, and was far less coherent. His emotionally-loaded diatribe consisted mostly of insults, but with no supporting evidence. Little children argue this way. Normally, it is a waste of time to dialog with someone like Peter who refuses to be rational and will not even stay on topic. But sometimes it is instructive because it reveals the lack of critical thinking skills typical of the most vocal evolutionists.”
Secular Scientists: Earth’s Inner Core Shouldn’t Exist!
“Creation scientists have long pointed out that the incredible complexity of living things demands a supernatural Creator. But this recent research shows just how difficult it is for secular scientists to explain the origin of even ‘simple’ things, like Earth’s inner core.”
Quiz: Can You Pass This Simple Bible Doctrine Quiz?
“Take time to work through a short quiz (only 20 questions) to see how well you are studying and learning the Bible.”
Quiz Answers: Answers and Explanations to the Recent Bible Doctrine Quiz
Here are the answers and explanations to the quiz above.
Renewing Your Mind Minute: Law and the Christian Life (01:00)
Renewing Your Mind Minute: Hating God (01:00)
Renewing Your Mind Minute: The Necessity of Church Membership (01:00)
5 Minutes in Church History: Francis Grimké (05:00)
Truth in Love: Women and Pornography (10:20)
Truth in Love: Staying Ahead of Conflict (feat. Jim and Caroline Newheiser) (10:36)
Truth in Love: Answers to Your Counseling Questions (13:19)
ICR: Christians and Conservation (13:35)
The Briefing: Thursday, March 1, 2018 (20:54)
- The baby that never should have been? ‘Wrongful birth’ lawsuits define our cultural reality
- Parenthood redefined: Ohio judge nullifies parental rights after parents object to teenager’s gender transition
- In aftermath of ‘Emperor for Life’ announcement, Chinese censors go into overdrive
The Briefing: Friday, March 2, 2018 (23:21)
- Is “perpetual peace” possible? How Vladimir Putin’s latest announcement further undermines the hope of the Enlightenment
- Why one same-sex couple is surprised when the convictions of a Christian school turn out to be convictional
- There is a 40% chance that you’ve been exposed to 100% misleading statistics
The Briefing: Monday, Mar. 5, 2018 (21:18)
- And the Oscar goes to…virtue signaling and moral contradictions
- The real reason why it’s impossible to clone a dog’s soul
- Should there be a moral mandate for absolute gender equality in every field?
- A brave new world on the California freeways: Beginning in April, there may not be a driver in the driver’s seat of that car driving next to you
The Briefing: Tuesday, Mar. 6, 2018 (20:47)
- Election results in Italy send clear moral signal at the expense of the European political establishment
- Why we better be careful about assuming it makes sense to jail those who offend us politically
- Why a morally-sane society must consider all the ways in which we can protect our children
- As fake video is on the rise, the task of separating truth from lie is increasingly complicated
The Briefing: Wednesday, Mar. 7, 2018 (22:41)
- What we learn about the moral tenor of our times in the wake of Nashville mayor’s guilty plea and resignation
- Why it’s important to understand that culture produces politics, not the other way around
- As California proves, the further you get from agriculture, the more liberal the social context grows
- Despite Americans’ claim to rugged individualism, political affiliations are often very predictable
The Briefing: Thursday, Mar. 8, 2018 (21:22)
- Why America’s double-mindedness is glaringly apparent at the intersection of Down syndrome and abortion
- Prenatal sex selection threatens the very survival of Armenia
- A sign of things to come: Mayor of Coronado removes church directory sign over fear of lawsuits
IBCD: Postpartum Depression (22:13)
Women’s Hope: Are You a Hypocrite? | Galatians Bible Study Series No. 5 (24:04)
Renewing Your Mind: The Hardening of Pharaoh’s Heart (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Holy War (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Puritan Worship and Eschatology (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: The Philippian Jailer (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Christ-Centered Sanctification (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: The Struggle of Sanctification (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: The Holy Spirit and Sanctification (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Jesus Christ Is Lord (26:25)
She Proves Faithful: The Christian Hypocrite (34:18)
Thankful Homemaker: The Routines of the Day: Making the Most of Your Morning and Evenings (35:39)