Favorite Finds Friday:
The following are a collection of articles, sites, podcasts, and other finds I have found this week that I thought I would recommend. I hope you find these especially encouraging and edifying in your walk with Christ.
Why I Wrote a Book for Women Discerning a Call to Ministry (Part 1)
This is a sweet personal friend of mine. The small rural church she mentions in this article is the church I grew up in and where I first met her. I was only a couple of years older than her and my sister and her are the same age so I grew up playing with her and her little sister for many years. I preordered her first book and cannot wait to read it.
Moralism is Not the Gospel (But Many Christians Think It Is)
Dr. Albert Mohler discusses how moralism is often mistaken as Christianity. Moralism is NOT the gospel.
What Does it Mean to Fear God?
Dr. RC Sproul explains the difference between servile fear and a filial fear.
Of Locusts, Helicopters, and the Ideal Woman
How our hermaneutics can affect how we interpret Scripture.
Why Should I Sing in Church?
Keith and Kristyn Getty discuss the importance of congregational singing.
“Your voice may not be of professional standard, but it is of confessional standard.”
Don’t Lose Spiritual Disciplines for Fear of Legalism
Sarah Walton encourages a healthy balance and a correct understanding of the difference between discipline and legalism.
Ernie Baker gives 6 ways to respond to criticism.
“Yes, the words stab me, penetrating like an arrow, but they would not be able to do so unless God allowed them to get by the shield, which is Himself.”
Telling the Truth about Man
“Man’s primary problem has always been the love of sin, not the lack of education.” ~ Cameron Buettel
Should Christians take one another to court? (Short answer: no)
“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:35)
Reaching a Child’s Heart for Christ
Teaching children about God is more than just teaching moralism.
Everyone Wants to Be More Productive
Ligonier Connect is hosting a class by Tim Challies on productivity based on his book “Do More Better.” This is a book I plan on reading and reviewing this year.
Conversion Therapy vs. Conversion to Christ
Beautiful response to the media’s irresponsible articles regarding her conversion to Christ and leaving behind her homosexual lifestyle.
Seven Reasons 1 Timothy 2:12 Isn’t the Crazy Aunt We Hide in the Closet when Company Comes Over
Michelle Lesley discusses 1 Timothy 2:12 and why this verse is not against women but a passage we can adequately explain and not feel ashamed of.
Are Some Sins Worse Than Others?
Nick Batzig discusses whether all sins are equal in the eyes of God or if there is a hirearchy in the wretchedness of sin.
A Calvinist Evangelist?
Keith Mathison dispelling the myth that a Calvinist evangelist is an oxymoron or inconcistant with the Calvinistic theology.
Renewing Your Mind Minute: Sovereignty in Suffering (1:00)
Renewing Your Mind Minute: The Imago Dei (1:00)
Renewing Your Mind Minute: Secular Education (1:00)
5 Mins in Church History: 5 Responses to Modernism (5:00)
The History of the Christian Church: Just Doing the Job (15:10)
The History of the Christian Church: Some, Not Others (10:10)
The Briefing: Friday, Jan. 12, 2018 (22:07)
- Changing American religious landscape reveals changing American mission field as Muslim population grows significantly
- How the rise of social media has led to an increase in perfectionism amongst young people
- Americans turn to astrology apps in search of happiness and meaning
- The Pope courts controversy with a circus
The Briefing: Monday, Jan. 15, 2018 (24:21)
- With the possibility of government shutdown only four days away, political crisis looms over Washington D.C.
- Why comprehensive immigration reform is needed, but should not be based on racial prioritization
- Language and morality…in the White House and in your house
- A dream that was right: Remembering Martin Luther King Jr.
The Briefing: Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018 (23:01)
- In the name of eliminating all discrimination, University of Iowa discriminates against Christian student group
- Religious liberty threatened even more explosively as Chinese authorities dynamite major church
- Hard lessons learned in the state of California on the issues of work and welfare and the distinction between political intentions and political reality
- A false warning that was heeded in Hawaii vs. a real warning that is being ignored to eternal peril
The Briefing: Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018 (22:54)
- Blue America is growing bluer: Political swings in both New Jersey and New York show worldviews at work
- Why politics and hypocrisy go together so dangerously
- A tale of two letters: French accuse Americans of holding to a Puritan sexual morality
The Briefing: Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018 (22:28)
- A radical vision of abortion rights from the Canadian Prime Minister as government uses coercive power to further its own agenda
- A very different vision of abortion as an issue in South Korea
- Australian wedding vendors celebrate a new product line
- One congregation celebrates same-sex weddings as a signal, but a signal of what?
Thankful Homemaker: Simple Tips for a Clutter Free Home (22:49)
Renewing You Mind: The Sacrifice of Faith (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: The Scottish Reformation (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Eternal Appointment (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Holy, Holy, Holy (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Clothed in Righteousness (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: Have You Lost Your Mind? (26:25)
Renewing Your Mind: No Compromise, No Surrender (26:25)
A&O Min: A Little Molinism, and a Little Oneness (1:08:59)